Sun 3 and memory

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Wed Apr 15 20:51:47 CDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Update on the barn-find Sun 3/260 that I have been restoring and was
supposed to exhibit at VCF PNW until the show was cancelled for some odd
reason. The system had been failing to get through self-test because, in
the memory tests, bit 13 was always set, whether intended or not.

I borrowed a couple Sun 501-1102 boards (8M ECC memory for VME) and one
of them passes the self-tests and, if I had a bootable device, the
system is now ready to try that.

But my question here is about Sun 3 memory.

Sun part 501-1102 is described as Sun 3/2xx, 3/4xx, and 4/2xx memory
(The Sun System Handbook does not list it as 3/4xx memory). The memory
board that worked is tagged 501-1102 and was described as memory to go
along with a Sun 3/160 CPU board. I was loaned both boards in case the
problem was the backplane. But the System Handbook does not list that
memory as an option for that CPU.

Does anyone here know whether a 501-1102 memory board be used with a
3/160 CPU?

Does anyone here know whether Sun 3/260 schematics are available
anywhere like the 3/160 and 3/60 ones are? I would like to give
repairing the memory board that came with the 260 a shot, since that is
a better story when I exhibit it and the memory board that I have that
works now is a loaner.

Finally, will a SD2SCSI (configured as 2 Sun0424 drives), Archive 150M
QIC drive, or CD-ROM drive work on the 3/260 if I connect them up to the
SCSI cable for the QIC-24 drive that the system came with?

alan