Kennedy 9800 - Power-up tips?

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:15:37 CDT 2020

Hi friends,

Now that I have enough hobby time having quit my job two weeks before the
apocalypse, I'm interested in poking at my Kennedy 9800 tape controller
project.

I bought the tape unit in Q3 2017 and the seller said they had powered it
up and nothing seemed awry. I have not powered it up and reading about old
electrolytic cap issues I'm curious if I should do anything beyond replace
any obviously leaking/ruptured capacitors.

IIRC people have used a variac to gradually bring the power supply up to
operating voltage and somewhat refresh the capacitors - is this a thing? Is
this advisable?

Any help is appreciated!
--
Anders Nelson