Charles Lasner [Was: Re: LINC-8]

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Mon Apr 27 14:30:58 CDT 2020

On 4/27/2020 7:40 AM, Pontus Pihlgren via cctalk wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:08:24AM -0500, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk wrote:
>> Charles Lasner.  He passed the weekend of April 3rd due to
>> complications from the COVID-19 virus.  I'm fuzzy on his exact
>> biography, but he was big in the development of OS/8 for the PDP-8 at
>> DEC.  His current project was an update of OS/8 which he called
>> P?S/8.  Apparently he owned multiple LINC-8's according to comments on
>> the Facebook group.
> He also worked onKermit-12, for instance the code that identifies which
> PDP-8 machine it is running on. It is quite fun to follow that code. It
> can, impressively, separate between a PDP-5, LINC-8, PDP-12, Straight-8,
> 8/S, 8/I, 8/L, 8/E, 8/A, 6100 and 6120.
>
> Here, search for "MACHINE,.-."
> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftp/d/k12mit.pal
>
> A lot of PDP-8 know-how and trivia went with him, sorry to see him go.
>
> /P

I looked up his obituaries, and include some  links here.  Also a link
discussing his visit to the RICM

I left a note on each of these.  Everhear requires some sort of login.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/charles-lasner-obituary?pid=195884420

https://www.everhere.com/us/obituaries/ny/west-babylon/charles-lasner-10663008

visit to RICM
https://groups.google.com/forum/?#!topic/alt.sys.pdp8/ZUVbAdtV8RA