SIMH on low overhead platform

Andrew Back andrew at carrierdetect.com
Mon Aug 17 03:16:58 CDT 2020

On 17/08/2020 08:43, Tom Hunter via cctalk wrote:
> Has SIMH been ported to a low overhead (instant-on) platform?
>
> I ask the question because the startup time of Linux is distracting when
> powering on a PiDP-11/70 or similar clone systems based on SIMH.

Haven't seen anything, but Linux can be made to boot much faster, e.g.
if you have hardware which supports Coreboot firmware/BIOS, Linux can
also be loaded from flash along with this, as its payload. So maybe this
and a very minimal filesystem generated with something like
OpenEmbedded, could be one approach.

Also wondered if SimH could be ported to a UEFI application. The
environment seems to provide some O/S like features, but no idea how
much would be missing or significantly different.

Andrew