Diskless VMS install

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Tue Aug 25 17:15:18 CDT 2020

On 8/25/2020 4:42 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM John Klos via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a VAXstation 4000/60 with an internal disk but no CD drive. I'd
>> like to install VMS (7.3), but I'm new to VMS.
>>
>> I have a SIMH VAX instance running on the same LAN with VMS installed
>> (mounting the VMS images is easy, of course). Can anyone point me to a
>> HOW-TO which explains how to use one VMS system to MOP / netboot another
>> system to install VMS?
>>
> As far as I can remember the standard VMS installation over the
> network mechanism assumes you are booting from and installing from an
> InfoServer, not another system running VMS. Although for Alpha VMS
>

> There is probably already an How-To out there somewhere on setting up
> and using a SIMH InfoServer. I'll have to take a look around and see
> what I can find. Or also spend some time seeing what it takes to get a
> SIMH InfoServer set up again myself and make some notes along the way.
 From the guy that wrote the Infoserver stuff for SimH

<https://www.9track.net/simh/infoserver>  "InfoServer Software on Simh"

InfoServer software: <ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/openvms/freeware/infoserver/>

SimH: <https://github.com/simh/simh>

Booting from InfoServer:  OpenVMS VAX V7.3 Upgrade and Installation Manual <https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/v73/6630/6630pro_002.html>
  Sec 3.1.2 - Booting from Infoserver <https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/OVMSDOC073/v73/6630/6630pro_002.html#infoserver_staback>

A quick Google search didn't find any How to on using an Infoserver but the pieces are there in the V7.3 Install manual.  Matt Burke's page on setting up the Infoserver software in Simh worked for me a few months ago.  If you have questions on anything that' snot clear, then ask.
--

John H. Reinhardt