Looking for an IDE simulator

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Aug 28 12:40:37 CDT 2020

On 8/28/20 10:10 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

> SD is a packet based storage device on a serial interconnect
You really do need SMART monitoring on solid-state storage
which may or may not exist in the adapters. SSDs will silently
fail if they run out of sectors to write to.

Also, I discovered recently that there is a maximum number of hours
measured in years on SSDs and systems will start throwing SMART
errors when that is exceeded. I have a few doing that now on systems
with minimal writes but lots of hours.

There are long discussions elsewhere of the dangers of using non-industrial
rated CFs and SDs in storage applications.