Al Lasher's electronics closing.

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Dec 5 15:47:03 CST 2020

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
> I'd never even heard of Lasher's.  I'd been to most of the other bay area
> surplus electronics places.

It was a classic professional supply place.  Tell the guy behind the
counter what you want, or hand over the list, and he would go back into
what resembled library stacks.  As opposed to surplus and/or retail
self-serve wander the aisles and bring your basket to the register.
There was a small browsing area up front, but most stock was behind the
counter.  SOME surplus stuff, but NOT a "look at what we just got in" that
you would expect in a surplus outlet.

"I want a DPDT spring return center off toggle switch with about a half
inch long toggle"
"36 220 Ohm half watt resistors"
"got a molex connector like this one for 8" disk drive power?"

Extremely well established.
Prices were ordinary and acceptable.
It was THE fall-back if Radio Shack didn't have what you needed, nor
places like Quinn's, Electronics, Etc.

More than half a century ago, there was a news mention of somebody under
suspicion by HUAC (House Un-American Activities Committee) had been seen
leaving a "known communist" organization upstairs at the same address.
No idea whether Lasher himself was involved in politics.

> And, our one remaining place in St. Louis, Gateway Electronics has also
> closed recently.

Will ANY remain?

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com