Sun external SMD cables

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Fri Feb 14 15:54:37 CST 2020

On 2/14/2020 6:09 AM, Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:

>> On Feb 14, 2020, at 04:15, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 19:06, Alan Perry via cctalk
>> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>> I supplied part numbers. How can I be more specific?
>> Oddly, some of us do not have a mental look-up table of Sun part
>> numbers. In fact I think I can safely say that I could not identify a
>> single cable of any form for any machine ever made by its part number.
>> If you can, good for you.
> I read the label attached to the cable.
>
> I could tell you what connectors are at each end of the cable, but I couldn’t tell you how they are wired together and, having no docs on the cable or an example to check, am dependent on the part number to tell me that.
>
> alan
The SCSI spec and cabling have a specific way that the conductors have
to be rolled to make a round cable.  Each cable type has a recommended
way that signal and grounds should be paired and in what proximity in
the cable.

For SMD I never saw a formal spec with as much detail as the SCSI spec,
and I don't know if they standardized the cabling.  Mainly to speculate
about whether you can use a generic 25-25 or 37-37 straight thru.

I suspect the 25-25 would be sensitive to the type of conductor pairing
and fabrication would work.  The 37-37 bus connector probably would work
with looser electrical specs to substitute in different cabling.

Also just to make things more entertaining on the Oracle site for sun
hardware they are using the term "Storage Module Drive" to refer to 6g/s
SAS drives installed in individual blades for a blade server system.
So the term appears frequently in their online docs, and including old
documents and current documents.

Here's one example of that term on a page
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19452-01/html/821-0911/gkfcf.html

If I'm not far off base, I ran across two vendors who may have made the
controller if they aren't sun, Interphase, and Xylogics.  Also an
article referred to the Sun boards as Eurocard from Xylogics. Xylogics 753.
Thanks
Jim