Crimping 68pin (HD68) Wire

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Sat Feb 15 17:19:26 CST 2020

Chuck,I do have the correct tool. I used the crimper I normally use for my other IDC cables but just couldn't apply enough force to get the teeth to come through the cable all the way. That's when I switch over to a table mounted vise and it couldn't provide enough pressure to close the two pieces of the crimp.I feel like alignment is very hard and critical for the HD68. The teeth need to come up through the top portion of the connector. I don't think I have seen this with other IDC connectors.
-------- Original message --------From: Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> Date: 2/15/20  2:53 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Ali via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> Subject: Re: Crimping 68pin (HD68) Wire On 2/15/20 2:11 PM, Ali via cctalk wrote:> Hello All,Recently I tried making some custom SCSI cable. In the past I have successfully made my own 50pin SCSI and Floppy cables with out much issue. However, I am finding it almost impossible to crimp the HD68 connectors on the cable. I have even tried a vise grip and I still couldn't get it to crimp all the way down. Anybody with some advice? Is there a trick I am missing? TiA.The correct tool helps--and lessens the possibility of damaging theconnector.  Failing that, a drill press vise will apply uniformpressure.--on the business (connector pin) end, use a small block of wood.But you knew that.--Chuck