52-pin D-Sub?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Feb 28 08:19:07 CST 2020

> On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:26 PM, Nigel Johnson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> More in the trivia department, the DA15 was used for AUI interconnection in the 10base-5, -2, and early -T days, as well as analog joysticks.
>
> I'm surprised to see wikipedia saying that the high-density ones had DA to DE designations, I have only seen them in catalogs with full part numbers.  Could this be a backronym-style regression?

DA through DE designates the shape of the connector shell, so this makes sense.

As the article mentions, D-sub shells were also used for mixed pin inserts, such as the pin plus coax combinations used in early workstation monitor connectors.  Same story: standard shell, different pin insert within that shell.

	paul