FS : IBM Magnetic cards for IBM selectric "compocarte" (?)

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 14:50:26 CST 2020

The magcard selectric was capable of a lot of basic word processing
functions as could the MT/ST before it.  One function it was really
useful for was creating personalized form letters. The body of the
letter could be stored and personalizations filled in as it printed.
The MT/ST and magcard also had a model with a composer version of the
selectric connected.  The composer version had an escapement mechanism
that could do proportional spacing, this mechanism was complicated and
from what OP technician told me tricky to adjust, and it didn't help
that customer using composers where very picky about the print quality
as composers where often use to prepare copy for printing.  I have also
seen selectric mechanisms that used a lead screw to move the print head
which would be an easier way to implement proportional spacing. Watching
a video of an electronic composer typing suggests it may have used this
mechanism as the carriage motion looks smoother that what you get with
an escapement rack.    There was also a version of magcard machine that
had a IBM Executive type bar typewriter attached, the Executive also did
proportional spacing. There was also a selectric called the "Memory
Typewriter" that could store documents on a wide loop of tape the was
inside a slightly enlarged selectic.  The last version of the magcard
machines where equipped with a daisy wheel printer in place of a selectric.

Paul.