IBM System/36 5360 For Sale - Alabama

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Tue Jul 7 14:13:31 CDT 2020

I had a lengthy email exchange with Aaron at Almost Anything back in
December over the machine.  They (Almost Anything) had a 5251 terminal
listed on eBay for $699 for a very long time.  I originally inquired to
see if he had the keyboard for it.  He forwarded me a sold eBay link to
it for something like $1800.  I tried to explain to him that the
terminal is pretty much worthless without the keyboard.  He wouldn't
budge on price.

He let me know then that the S/36 was soon to be available.  But from
our previous context I figured it would be at an insane price point.  He
did say the previous owner was actively using it in a small business
capacity the day before they picked the unit up.  It originally had 4
terminals with keyboards.  But they've all been separated/sold since
except for the one he's providing with the console terminal.

He's clearly fishing for a market price.  But the starting bait price
will influence his value perception.

If anyone is seriously interested in it, I do live in Atlanta - about 75
minutes from Opelika, AL.  I could be talked into going down and talking
a look/photos of it before you buy.  I have a soft spot for IBM Midrange
and some deep pockets

-Alan H.