Small C ver 1.00 source?

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Thu Jul 16 04:05:55 CDT 2020

> On July 16, 2020 at 1:57 AM Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 02:30:37PM -0400, Phil Budne via cctalk wrote:> I can't make ANY assertions about version or pedigree of the files(which came to me in 1981 when I was using a PDP-10), but they APPEARto be from Ron Cain himself, from SRI-KL (TOPS-20):
> > ftp://ftp.ultimate.com/pdp10/c80.tar.gz
> > Which contains runtime files from November 1979, and compiler filesdated June 1981.By pure coincidence I have found the page with many versions of SmallC. Just in case someone needs them:
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/small_c.html
> And this one is claimed to be "SMALL C converted to the 8088 by Bytemagazine":
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/small_c/smc88dos.zip
> --Regards,Tomasz Rola
> --** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature. **** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home **** directory. And then the C programmer became enlightened... **** **** Tomasz Rola mailto:tomasz_rola at bigfoot.com **

Hi Tomasz,
Thanks for the link.  I had seen that page but as Jim Stephens mentioned in his reply I was looking for the original 8080 version.  Thanks to him and Phil Budne I now have it.  They separately provided identical copies that had apparently come directly from Ron Cain.  There is also a copy on github that was apparently OCRed and corrected.  I am comparing it now to the others.

I intend to create a page on my website dedicated to Small C.  I will include the original source and probably a few other interesting ports if anyone is interested.  I do think this is an important piece of historical software that should be preserved.

Thanks for finding that!
Will