paper tape archiving

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Jul 30 07:53:15 CDT 2020

> On Jul 30, 2020, at 3:15 AM, Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Be glad you don't have to deal with this kind of thing:
>  http://everist.org/pics/misc/20200719_6831_wet_tapes.jpg
>
> A bunch of PDP 8 system tapes. That were literally soaking in liquid water when recovered.
> The DEC mag tapes... sigh. Still not even thinking about them. Just slow drying.

Those are DECtapes.  They should be just fine.  You may want to unreel them and wipe the surface to remove any dirt, just to be extra careful.

One of the DECtape stories I heard was about a reel that was in its owner's jeans pocket.  He forgot about it when he put the jeans in the laundry.  Afterwards, put the reel back on the drive, it worked fine.

Remember that DECtape is laminated; the oxide is between two mylar layers, not exposed to the elements.

	paul