Amiga Vendors?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 08:02:57 CDT 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 19:51, Tomasz Rola via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> From time to time I behave like a normal human and, for example, zip
> channels on my cable tv. Few years ago, while stopping at their "see
> what we have on offer to you, prospective viewer" kind of channel, it
> cracked open and I have seen the Workbench screen. Version 1.3 or 2.0,
> if I am correct. Could be 2.0, so most probably Amiga 1200.
>
> So, yes.

Indeed.

I remember at around the turn of the century, a Sainsbury's
supermarket by Clapham Common underground station in South London
(near my old home) got completely modernised.

https://stores.sainsburys.co.uk/0526/clapham-common

The shop had full-length windows at street level. This is not much use
for a supermarket: the backs of shelves are not very interesting to
look at, it's hard to get in there to replace marketing posters etc.,
leaving it open wastes potential shelf space...

So they filled it with big plasma flatscreens (quite new tech at the
time). They could display animated advertising, special offers etc.

But before the refurbishment was completed, there were some "coming
soon" messages on the screens. And one day, someone left the mouse
pointer on screen.

It was the familiar chunky red NW-pointing AmigaOS pointer, as in
http://www.heckmeck.de/amigastyle/amiga_pointers/pointers.png

I was very surprised to see what looked like a _new_ Amiga deployment
at that time -- end of the 1990s.

But I guess it was good at its job, and probably required very little
maintenance...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com