Farewell Etaoin Shrdlu

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:58:45 CDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 3:26 PM Liam Proven via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> https://archive.org/details/FarewellEtaoinShrdlu
>
>  28min documentary on the last ever edition of the NY Times to be
> printed using hot metal -- before they switched to what are now a
> quite choice assortment of late-'70s minicomputers. I think I spotted
> a PDP, a Data General and some IBM device, but I am no expert in this
> era.
>
> As a veteran reader of Fredric Brown, especially "the Enchanted
> Linotype", I have been using ETAOIN SHRDLU to win at Hangman for many
> years... but I'd never seen one working before. It all still seems
> like magic to me. I've worked in the magazine industry so I should
> know more about this stuff, but I never worked at the repro end of
> things...

Liam,
I rescued a Linotype and gave it to Bob Roswell for his museum in Hunt
Valley, MD USA...should you ever be in the Washington/Baltimore area.
Syssrc.com is the URL and the museum is housed within their consulting and
training facility.
Bill