PLATO V Terminal

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 15:19:20 CDT 2020

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:12 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 6/18/20 4:18 AM, Tom Hunter via cctalk wrote:
>> I have been "hunting" for a PLATO V terminal for some time. It was made by
>> Regency - Carroll.
>>
>> If there is such a terminal gathering dust in a shed or garage and the
>> owner would like to find a good home for it then please let me know.
>>
>> I have successfully restored a Control Data Corp IST-3 terminal and 721
>> Viking terminal and have the skills, equipment and passion to restore the
>> terminal to its former beauty and functionality.
>
> So what does one do with a PLATO terminal?  I was acquainted only with
> the PLATO IV terminal and, although I took a couple of CDC-mandated
> courses on it (don't remember a thing), I mostly sneaked time to play
> AIRFIGHT.
>
> At one NCC, I remember asking the folks in the PLATO booth if they
> minded if I checked out their setup.  Since there was virtually no one
> around, I brought up AIRFIGHT.   Within 10 minutes, I had a crowd
> straining for a peek.

Nice.  Yes, airfight and any number of other multi-user games -- a thing made popular by PLATO and possibly originated there.  There is a running PLATO system around, see www.cyber1.org for details.  Its users normally use a terminal emulators, but real terminals can be connected to it and a few are around that are set up that way.

	paul