IDE Hard Drive Question

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Thu Jun 25 17:29:08 CDT 2020

Hi friends,

Sorry for the long email that follows:

I am working with an old military PC model SAIC V2LC. The PC is a 486 and is from around 1992 give or take a couple of years. Probably 1995 latest. The computer has one 3.5" floppy and a removable IDE hard drive in a removable carrier. It also seems to have a SCSI controller, but I would have to see what that is all about as the BIOS does not show anything about that so it may require a driver that I may be unlikely to find.

Some pictures:
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/1.JPG
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/7.JPG
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/9.JPG
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/10.JPG

IDE HD and carrier, the hard drive in the carrier is a Conner CFS540A:
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/20200124_094111.jpg
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/20200124_094131.jpg
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/20200124_094115.jpg
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/20200124_094118.jpg
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/20200124_094105.jpg

I purchased this SD-IDE converter to replace the failing (failed) hard drive. I got a 40 pin converter because I saw that the conner CFS540A uses 40 pins.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G29TZPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I received the converter and went to remove the hard drive from the carrier and saw something surprising.  It appears that 4 wires from the computer are connected not to the 40 pin IDE connector, but directly to the hard drive in the center piece (is this the motor? Voice coil? I don't know).
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/0625201552.jpg
https://w2hx.com/x/SAIC%20V2LC/0625201605.jpg

Does ANYONE have any idea what these 4 wires are connected to and why? And anyone give any odds about whether these 4 wires will prevent this IDE-SD converter from working?

Any and all suggestions/advice welcome.
73 Eugene W2HX