HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Neil Thompson albiorix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 10:23:27 CDT 2020

I'm a genuine hobbyist - I've been trying to keep examples of every
os/system I've ever worked with to play with now that I've retired (either
hardware or emulation based). My VAX equipment turned to carbonised scrap
due to lightning a while ago and I'm now emulation based and have been
using the Hobbyist licence, but it looks as though it's just becoming too
much hassle to do it any more.  So I'm dropping the whole thing - sad, but
I don't have time for nonsense any more.

On the upside, a system I've never worked on has ramped up greatly - I'm
having a lot of fun with Multics and the dps8m emulator/simulator.  HPE -
have a look at the way Honeywell handled their legacy stuff and take a
lesson.