HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Wed Mar 11 12:46:57 CDT 2020

To see if HP is still issuing VAX hobby licenses, a few days ago I applied for
same directly online. Today I received the following in a similar manner as
others have described:

Hello dear OpenVMS Hobbyist,

Please see attached for PAKs to use on your VAX or Alpha.
The attached file is a DCL command file; to load your PAKs simply execute it

$ @Hobbyist-USE-FINALVA.txt

Please read the following special notification.

  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Dear HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist,

--snip--

The HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist licenses we are issuing in 2020 will be the
last set. Subsequently, HPE will not issue new HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist licenses.
Attached is the final set of the HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist licenses. These final
licenses are valid through December 31st, 2021. We hope that this additional
validity period will enable users to plan for the future.

I received the above from: OpenVMS Customer Lab <openvmscustomerlab at hpe.com>.

I intend to contact them about a permanent hobbyist license - and as others
have said, it would make sense for all of us to do so. May I suggest the
following format for that contact:

1. Thank them for the hobbyist program!
2. Explain how it has made you appreciate HP more because of their willingness
to offer such a program.
3. State how you have helped spread the word about the goodness of HP because
of the program.
4. Express disappointment that the program is ending - and how it will affect
your hobby.
5. Ask if HP would be willing to consider offering a permanent hobbyist
license.
6. Suggest that there would be no downside to HP and would enhance the
goodwill that the program brings to HPE - especially since many hobbyists
also work with/for major purchasers of IT equipment.

Regards,
Lyle
--

--