HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

James B DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Wed Mar 11 20:26:14 CDT 2020

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:06:04 -0400
Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 3/11/20 6:26 PM, Katherine Barto wrote:
> >

> >> On Mar 11, 2020, at 3:18 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
> >> <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:

> >> I assume SysV means Unix SysV.  Unless there has been a change
> >> I have not heard about nothing newer than V7 has been released
> >> for use by the holders of the Unix IP.  I have a copy of that
> >> somewhere.
> >>
> >> bill
> >>

> > Unix newer than V7 is available at https://www.tuhs.org
> >
> > Including System III, 32V, and BSD ports up to and including 4.4
>
> The last time I wanted access to anything newer than V7 I had
> to provide a copy of an original AT&T Unix license.  I haven't
> looked lately.
>
> bill

Something like that may be a factor in the S1500. I have a running
system, but not with the full kit. No dev tools, no sources, no DNIO,
(for interfacing with DX10 and DNOS filesystems on 990s.), no TCP/IP,
and a few other things.

 At one point the maintainer was offering source and binary
licenses, though for rather princely sums, as far as a hobbyist would
be concerned. I no longer see them on their website, but presumably
they're still available. If, however, they can be *sold* without
constraints from the current Unix owner, I would hope they could just as
well be opened up, and I would hope a similar argument could apply to
the OpenVMS situation.

jbdigriz