NetBSD on a VAX 3100 (DV-31AT1-A)

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Mon Mar 16 05:19:44 CDT 2020

Rod Smallwood via cctalk wrote:

> Hi All
>
> With the upcoming demise of VMS/VAX I thought I might give NetBSD/vax a try.
>
> Downloading a bootable image and burning it onto a CD was not a problem.
>
> On the 3100 with attached RRD42 and SCSI drive RZ26l the CD duly booted
> ito the NetBSD install menu.
>
> All of versions 7,8 and 9. failed after partitioning at the point where
> the system is copied to the hard disk.
>
> Has anybody successfuly installed NetBSD on a VAX.  If which version on
> which VAX
>
> Rod Smallwood
>

> --

I had several kinds of trouble installing NetBSD on Vaxstations in the
past. If I remember correctly one of the reasons for an failing install
was some trouble related to the cache and the SCSI Controller.

There is a maling list to which you should subscribe and report the
problem: port-vax at netbsd.org.
I think personally that NetBSD-vax is in a not so good state...

This is from 03/30/2013, there is (was?) a bunch of similar problems
on VS3100/M76, or VS4000/90 too, stray interrupts, segfailts in the
install script and so on.
If the system is finally running, most of the problems are gone, but
installing is a special thing it seems...

info at tsht.de Fax +49 3731 74200 Tel +49 3731 74222 Mobil: 0172 8790 741