SS Voyager: DC / DC Board

Steve Algernon salgernon at me.com
Sun Mar 22 00:48:00 CDT 2020

I’ve been rehabilitating a SparcStation Voyager when I get time (of which I seem to have some now). The display did work off and on but doesn’t show anything now.  As per the troubleshooting docs, I check the DC/DC board voltages but the service manual (from oracle!) has wire colors that bear no resemblance to my board.  I found a pin that starts out at 12v but decays fairly quickly.

Does anyone know if the pin3=12v, 4=5v, 5=5v, 6,7,8=gnd and 9=3.3 from the manual is correct?

This one voltage that drops to zero after initially showing 12v - is that a reasonable symptom for a bad power supply?  Is that kind of thing fixable?  I don’t expect I’ll be able to find a replacement board.  I don’t see any blown capacitors or expressed smoke.

I’m not sure how the pin counting is supposed to go for this 10 pin molex power connector.  The female side on the main board looks from the top like:

OOOOO
OOOOO
 \-/

Where the little thing at the bottom is the locking tab.  The power board itself has a line of wires coming out, and they are numbered 1-11 with #10 not connected.  But again, the color of those wires don’t seem to bear any resemblance to the manual.

On the off chance: anybody have a spare DC/DC converter for a Sparcstation Voyager that they want to unload cheap?  Part number is, I think 300-1234.

Cheers,
—sma