DIY Paper Tape Punch - Mechanism diagram?

Hugh Pyle hpyle at cabezal.com
Fri May 1 07:18:41 CDT 2020

I've cut Mylar tape with a Glowforge laser.  It cuts very nicely but the
alignment is a major hassle, plus you can only cut ~15" of tape which
doesn't go very far.  Not worth the effort.  If you were to build a custom
linear drive it might work.  But also very slow.

Here's a picture of a mechanical (Teletype 33) punch block.  These are
quite high-precision parts with hardened pins.  The pins drive through a
narrow gape for tape, into matching holes in the top of the block.  On the
Teletype, the drive mechanism is slow, and the punch sits quite a long way
from the single solenoid that sets up the bits.  I assume high-speed
punches have a similar block but a more direct (parallel) actuator.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F6QZQE3tiKgiGB6c7

CuriousMarc has a good video showing this sort of punch in operation,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzulZaJbdUU&list=PL-_93BVApb5-84G5kmgfuu7TQduTMc73H&index=8