Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat May 23 07:41:34 CDT 2020

    > From: Fred Cisin

    > we can start by considering the 4004. 1971. ... Then came the 8008,
    > with EIGHT bit data bus, and 14 bit address bus (16K of RAM) ... It is
    > important to note that each Intel chip consisted of "minor" modifications to
    > the previous one.

I know you didn't _say_ the 8008 was based on the 4004, but your text
can give that impression.

"The [8008] was commissioned by Computer Terminal Corporation (CTC) to
implement an instruction set of their design for their Datapoint 2200
programmable terminal. As the chip was delayed and did not meet CTC's
performance goals, the 2200 ended up using CTC's own TTL-based CPU instead."

The 8008 was started before the 4004, but wound up coming out after it. (See
Lamont Wood, "Datapoint", pg. 73.) This is confirmed by its original name,
1201 - the 4004 was going to be named the 1202, until Faggin convinced
Intel to name it the 4004.

	Noel