history is hard

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sun May 24 16:30:42 CDT 2020

On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 15:18:34 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

>> > The topic for my talk next week. Unix had virtualization in 74. The
>> second
>> > Unix port ran under OS/360's VM in 78.
>> >

>> What do you mean by "Unix had virtualization"?
>>

> I mean that 4th edition UNIX ran under a hypervisor in MERT in 74 as a
> process in that real-time executive.

Oh.  I thought maybe you meant Unix was able to do virtualization.

What's special about being able to run under a hypervisor?  If the
hypervisor does it's job right, whatever is running under it should
not be aware that it is not running directly on hardware.

>> Come to think of it, what do you mean by "OS/360's VM"?
>>

> IBM's standard VM/360. Sorry for the confusion.

CP/67 or something like that maybe?  I don't think there was a VM/360 either.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.