cctalk Digest, Vol 68, Issue 25

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Mon May 25 13:39:49 CDT 2020

> On May 25, 2020, at 10:00 AM, cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:
>

> The topic for my talk next week. Unix had virtualization in 74. The second
> Unix port ran under OS/360's VM in 78.

_Ahem_.

It ran under VM/370.  Most (all?) models of the IBM 370 had virtual memory, as had the (not widely-available) 360/67.

OS/360 is one of several operating systems for the IBM 360 and successors.

I grabbed the Princeton v7-to-370 port sources, and I have a VM/370 r6 machine set up on Hercules, but I have not yet made the attempt to combine the two.

Many years after that, also at Princeton, I sysadminned PenguinVM, which as far as I know was the first publicly-available Linux/390 machine.

Adam