Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Thu May 28 17:20:11 CDT 2020

On 5/28/2020 4:50 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 2:54 PM Jim Brain via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I see the 16A and the 12/16B as different sublines, as the II/16A used a
>> passive backplane with cards, while the 12/16B/6000 had a motherboard
>> with the z80 on it, and the card cage was for extensions (and the 68K
>> card).
>>
>> Both sublines merged back together with the 6000
>>
> Merged in what sense? AFAICT, aside from branding, the only difference
> between the 16B and 6000 was that the latter used the newer 8 MHz version
> of the 68000 card, which was also available as an upgrade for the 16B.  If
> you consider the II/16A as a "subline", I don't see how the 6000 "merged
> back" with that subline in any way.

My knowledge of the line is arguable.  I do feel the 11/16A differ non
trivially from the 12/16B and I agree the 6000 is closer to the 12/16B.
I guess I meant "merged" in the same way that Windows NT and the Windows
95 sublines "merged" in Windows XP (maybe it was 2000, but I think it
was XP).  True, very little if anything was brought over from the
95/98/ME line, but if you wanted to upgrade the 16A, the 16B/6000 was
the next logical step.  My other option was to say the II/16A terminated
at the 16A point, but that seems wrong as well.

Jim

--
Jim Brain
brain at jbrain.com