ZX81 killers (was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC)

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 22:56:04 CDT 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 9:58 PM Jecel Assumpcao Jr via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Jim Brain wrote on Thu, 28 May 2020 18:15:19 -0500

> make
> > > No no. It wasn't that. It was _money_.
> >
> > I think we're saying the same thing, but...
> >
> > I agree all things revolve around money, and US folks appreciate a good
> > value.  But, given all of the options in the US, the ZX81's lower cost
> > did not appear to provide enough value, so it was passed over in lieu of
> > slightly more expensive options that offered many more features.
>
> There were ZX81 ads in Byte magazine before the Timex thing. I bought
> one (Brazil is 60Hz so it had to be an American version) as a major
> upgrade to my MEK6800D2, but then replaced it with a TI99/4A.
>
> The threat of the ZX81 (and a bit more distantly the Spectrum) in the US
> lead to machines such as the TRS-80 MC10, TI99/2 and Commmodore C116 to
> try to compete with it.

I can attest to that, Mike Tomczak told me the story of the C116 and the
ZX81 when he came to visit our Sinclair exhibit, which has a C116 nearby
for comparison.  I have the good fortune to have Mike live nearby.  He's a
very friendly and knowledgeable guy about the business of the micro
business from 80's.

Bill
Kennettclassic.com