Floppy pressure pad replacement?

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 12:22:17 CST 2020

Does anyone have some good hints on what and how to replace them?

I have a CDC 8 inch floppy drive with a missing pressure pad. Tried to put
some half a millimeter felt cloth with some double adhesive tape to replace
it.

But it didn't work very well. If I gently pushed the upper pressure pad arm
it started to read at least. But it looks like it is possible to over-do
it. I added more padding and then it probably got too thick since it now
failed again. I guess that if there is a bit too much pressure the signal
might be too high in the input amplifier leading to distortion?

What is the best pressure pad material and what are you usually replacing
it with?

/Mattis