WTB: AUI cables

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Tue Nov 17 19:05:53 CST 2020

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:

> > Those seem rather high priced to me.
>
> Ya.  They are actually (just barely) higher than I can find them on eBay
> ($20).
>
> Maybe I'm being a cheapskate.  I like the $5 price a lot better.  I think
> that's much closer to what I paid at Peoria Super Fest years ago for them.
> They were falling off the back of multiple trucks.

 Well, you can't expect consumer prices for pro's stuff and then uncommon,
niche one, can you?  Even if it once used to be consumer's and common.

 This is hardly more than I recently paid per piece, not including postage
across the pond, for a bunch of suitably long three-way IEC 60320 C13/C14
leads for use with a remotely controlled PDU.  Which is considerably less
advanced a piece of technology than an AUI cable.

 And things do get yet worse if space constraints such as with some DEC
gear mandate that you use a right-angle AUI cable.  Then you get this:

https://www.insight.com/en_US/shop/product/LCN216-0003/BLACK%20BOX/LCN216-0003/Black-Box-Ethernet-Transceiver-Cable-IEEE-8023--Ethernet-AUI-cable--3-ft--gray/

Mind that this is whole 3ft!

 And then if you're lucky enough, you get just about anything for free.

  Maciej