LCD screen repair

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Nov 22 08:22:56 CST 2020

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 4:53 AM, rice43 via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> Whilst i have no experience replacing Apple G4 displays, LCD replacement in general is fairly easy. For starters, you're 100% going to need a new panel, preferably a like-for-like, though it's entirely possible you could stick in a different model if it's using LVDS connections inside. It's just a case of disassembling, swapping the screen, and reassembling in the reverse order.
> To be honest, it's probably cheaper just to buy a complete display, instead of replacing the LCD screen. There won't be much price difference between the LCD panel and a complete display.

The display shown in the original question looks like the early Apple LCD with a proprietary interface connector.  Those might be available, but not all that common.

A good option might be to replace it with a conventional DVI LCD.  Depending on the Mac, it might have a second display connector that is DVI -- my Mac Pro does, for example.  Or you might be able to find a convertor cable, I don't remember what's involved in those.

	paul