NEC NEAX IVS2 PBX with NEAXMAIL AD-8 - hard drive clone, issues

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:28:48 CST 2020

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 at 23:33, keith--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Hi Liam,
>
> As stated in my OP, I was using Windows 10 and USB adapters.

*Goes back and re-reads*

Ah, OK. I did not follow before.

I think Windows is a really poor choice for this. Worse, it might have
tried to mount the filesystem R/W and conceivably damaged it further.

Rufus I use for writing Windows ISOs to USB, but nothing else. I don't
think it's a suitable tool for this at all.

>  Active Disk Image, and Macrium Reflect programs

Never heard of them, I'm afraid. I used to have Windows tools for this
stuff, 2 decades ago before I stopped using it unless someone was
paying me to, but they won't run on Win10.

> to copy it an
> image file and then back to the CF.   They are supposed to create exact
> images of the drives but I think they do not.  Of course it could be
> something with my CF to USB adapter.

It could be-- but it could also be that they're trying to copy a
mounted FS or something.

> As far as errors,  as stated in my OP, "Since the voicemail card is
> running headless, I can't see the error messages."  The only way I know
> of a successful boot, is one LED turns green and then I can call in to
> the VoiceMail card.

Couldn't you try to boot the image in a VM?

> I am going to try a Linux machine and DD next.

Much better plan.

If there are any errors on the drive, I would recommend GNU
``ddrescue``. Do not confuse this with the older (but still
maintained) dd_rescue which is the product that inspired the GNU one;
the newer one is more capable.

It images but skips and continues on error, whereas ``dd`` will simply fail.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com