8 inch floppy head pad adjustment

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 15:08:37 CDT 2020

The big difference is most 8" drives had AC motors that turned the
spindle all the time so if a diskette drive was loaded it would turn all
the time and if the head(s) where loaded it would wear a groove in the
media, hence the head load solenoid.   Most 5.25 and smaller drives have
a DC motor that is only turned on when you are about to read or write
the diskette so leaving the heads loaded is less of an issue.

Paul.