Next project: 11/24. Does it need memory?--Working-ish!

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Sun Oct 25 20:01:10 CDT 2020

Ok, so now the three old style 11/24 CPU boards seem to be working. Ish.
The problem with the processor boards turned out to be the switches: On
my original 11/24 board it would work only at 19200. This is because the
switch pack is dirty and the contacts ain't working.

Solution: Spray 95% isopropyl alcohol right into the switch housing from
the top with all switches set to off. Then toggle the switches, then
toggle again, spray again, and set them. Board 1 now works at 9600 baud.

Board 3 was a bit more odd: It didn't do anything at any baud. So I set
both switch packs to all off, then did the above cleaning, then set them
properly and sure enough it comes up into ODT at 9600 baud.

The last board is a new style 11/24 and it doesn't do anything but it
does have three switch packs. So I just need to find the manual for it,
set the switches, and give it a try.

In the meantime the UNIBUS problem also appears to be fixed: The problem
was that sure enough: One of the memory slot SPC's (4) did not have the
DMA jumper. Found it pretty quickly with a continuity meter and checking
slot C pins 1,3 (top) for continuity. On the good side slot 9 does have
a DMA jumper, so I simply put the RX02 controller in slot 4, put the
G727 in slot 7, then put the TS11 controller (hex) in slot 8, then a
knucklebuster in slot 9 along with the 9302 terminator and all works great.

Isn't UNIBUS simple! Sorry, Q-Bus doesn't need a terminator, doesn't
have weird DMA stuff, and if you really need to put a card on a
particular side you can always grab a DLV11 (everyone has these) and use
it as a spacer. Anyone even know why Q-Bus doesn't need termination;
they used to do it with say the BDV11 but they just stopped doing it
after awhile.

Next step is to put the 11/24 away for the week and order a good 10 feet
of 40 pin ribbon cable so I can make an extension cable for the RX02.
Then I should be able to plug that in, set the RX02 to RX02 mode on the
drive (it's hooked to the 11/93's RXV11 now), key in a bootstrap from
the console, and see if I can boot an RX02 RT11 floppy.

Question: Can an RX02 boot an RX01 floppy formatted single density with
the DY: driver? Can it read an RX02 floppy in one drive and an RX01
floppy in the other or do you have to set the switches and use the right
controller card (that would be stupid, but sooooo DEC!)

Thanks everyone here and on the Discord for the help Getting there bit
by bit.