Next project: 11/24. Does it need memory?--Working-ish!

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Sun Oct 25 21:56:41 CDT 2020

On 10/25/20 8:01 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
> Question: Can an RX02 boot an RX01 floppy formatted single density
> with the DY: driver? Can it read an RX02 floppy in one drive and an
> RX01 floppy in the other or do you have to set the switches and use
> the right controller card (that would be stupid, but sooooo DEC!)
>
> Thanks everyone here and on the Discord for the help Getting there bit
> by bit.

Well done on sorting this out.  As to the RX02 questions....

An RX02 drive in RX02 mode can read either DEC single or double density
media in either drive.

If the RX01 media has a DY handler (RT11) configured as primary boot, it
"may" be possible.  It will definitely not work with the DX handler
configured.   To do this, you also need a different ODT/ROM bootstrap. I
have pulled one I have in my files and pasted it below. I do not
remember the source, but looks like someone has tried this before.

    Jerry

RX02 Single Density Bootstrap

Address    Contents
001000    012700