TZ8x DLT III cartridge - torn leader

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 1 11:19:25 CDT 2020

I've been trying to read data from some ~2000 era DLT III cartridges
that were written on a TZ87.

The first one read OK. But the second one failed and it seems that the
leader was torn off. I tried a new drive and a second cartridge has
failed the same way (the leader was there, now it's not).

My immediate problem is that I now have two drives (a TZ88 and a TZ870
that fail POST (all LEDs blink). I guess I need to open them up, fish
out the stray leader and fix them up somehow. Does anyone have any
experience of doing this?

My second problem is that I'd quite like to stop this from happening
again. I'm guessing that it happened because the cartridge mechanism was
jammed. I've just played around with a TK50-K cartridge and if I jam the
two release mechanisms (using the "nose" of two pliers), open the "tape
hatch" and gently pull the tape, it moves. Then I can "rewind" it and
it's back to the way it was. I'm wondering whether this is safe to do on
the DLT III tapes I still want to recover? Is it likely to at least tell
me which tapes are likely to fail and which might load properly?

My third problem i that I have two cartridges without a leader. Is this
something that can be rectified?

Thanks for any useful information.

Antonio

--