CMU Andrew system (and wm) preservation

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Mon Sep 7 17:25:31 CDT 2020

AFS is also cool, but it's a separate project that's still actively
maintained and (presumably) used. The Andrew UI stuff is more firmly in the
realm of computer history. Honestly, I'm surprised that it didn't get more
traction early on Linux, given that it was included in some of the more
influential early distros and it included a more complete set of apps than
anything else that you could get for free at the time. That said, it's also
a shame that IBM wouldn't allow the native window manager to be released
like the rest of the system. It probably would have been a better fit for
PC hardware of the early to mid 90s than X11...

Mike