Exploring early GUIs

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:11:22 CDT 2020

On 9/21/20 6:38 PM, Cameron Kaiser via cctalk wrote:
>>> MGR was not the Unix PC's native GUI environment; I'm not sure what that
>>> was named. MGR was an open source environment that could be installed on
>>> the Unix PC.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ManaGeR
>
> Almost looks like a SunView ancestor.

Here's a bit more taken from the posting to comp.sources.unix.

-----------------

MGR - C Language Application Interface
Stephen A. Uhler
Bell Communications Research

MGR (ManaGeR) is a window system for Unix that currently runs on Sun
Workstations. MGR manages asynchronous updates of overlapping windows and
provides application support for a heterogeneous network environment,
i.e., many different types of computers connected by various
communications media. The application interface enables applications
(called client programs) to be written in a variety of programming
languages, and run on different operating systems. The client program can
take full advantage of the windowing capabilities regardless of the type
of connection to the workstation running MGR. This document describes the
C interface library for MGR which provides a set of macros and functions
that implement the stream protocol. This library provides client programs
written in C with a function call interface to MGR. The library provides
the lowest level access to MGR functions and represents a one to one
mapping to the underlying stream protocol.