Lecture: Get to know the PDP-8 through emulation, 2021-04-10, 19:00

Anke Stüber stueberahoo at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 5 23:10:20 CDT 2021

Hi all,

you're invited to the Update computer club[0] public lecture series
"Updateringar"[1]! Update is a Swedish computer club founded in 1983
whose members tinker with all kinds of computers, from Raspberry Pi to
PDP-12. The club has a big collection of historic computers. In this
lecture series we'll talk about everything related to computers:
Historic and modern computers, operating systems, programming, hardware
projects, creating art with computers, building a computer museum, and
more. We'll start with a classic: the PDP-8.

When:  2021-04-10, 19:00 CEST
Where: https://bbb.cryptoparty.se/b/upd-0mo-m2u-aq8

Get to know the PDP-8 through emulation
An emulator is a program that pretends to be a computer different from
the one the emulator is executing on. This allows execution of software
intended for a physical computer that you do not have. In this talk
Pontus will explain the basics by implementing a fully working PDP-8
emulator and explaining each instruction and feature along the way. The
end result is a working emulator in less than 1000 lines of C code. And
hopefully you will walk away with both an understanding of the classic
PDP-8 computer and emulation.
Pontus Pihlgren (Update)

The lecture is free and open to everyone.

Upcoming: 2021-05-08, 19:00: Forth on microcontrollers. Crest (CCCHB)

Hope to see you there,
Anke

[0] http://www.update.uu.se/index_eng.html
[1] https://www.update.uu.se/wiki/doku.php/projekt:updateringar