GNO and ORCA Pascal

David Williams nospam212-cctalk at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 19:53:23 CDT 2021

I've recently moved and now have space to actually set up much of my
collection and I started with my Apple IIgs. Picked up all the Orca
languages and have begin playing around with them but am not an expert
with them by any means. There are others with more knowledge about them
I'm sure.

On 2021-04-16 12:24, John Many Jars via cctalk wrote:
> Does  anyone have any experience with GNO (the UnixLike shell for the
> Apple
> 2 GS)... particularly accessing GNO from Pascal.
>
> I'm afraid I'm a Turbo Pascal kind of guy... so I don't really get it.
> There are some of C libraries and C code and what have you... but I
> need to
> use Pascal (what I am porting was written in Turbo Pascal)... which
> compiles and links fine.
>
> There are plenty of units that come with it to access things in GSOS,
> but
> not under GNO because GNO was some sort of replacement for ORCA
> shell...

I have looked at GNO/ME but haven't actually worked with it yet. My
understanding is where you can use it in place of the Orca shell, it
isn't a 100% compatible drop in replacement. You can run the Orca tools
and compilers and such from it without any trouble I believe.

What is it you are trying to do with it? I've been trying to think of
something that one would do in the language that would be specific to
the shell itself.

David Williams
www.trailingedge.com