Looking for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools for VMS 4.x

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 18 12:00:02 CDT 2021

On 17/04/2021 23:37, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 04/17/2021 11:24 AM, Antonio Carlini via cctalk wrote:
>>

>> If anyone has any suggestions for how to clean CDs to recover data,
>> I'm all ears.
>>
> If by the "data side" you mean the clear side the CD is read from,
> those can be polished with toothpaste or plastic polish.  Modern
> CD/DVD drives are much better at reading poor quality disks.

I'm using a seven year old DVD-RW drive and a similarly aged DVD-ROM
drive. The results are the same in either case.

> If the data layer is scratched, they are likely unrecoverable. That is
> the side with the label on it, and the data layer is only a few
> thousandths below the label.

Two of them may well be completely unrecoverable. The others that I've
tried with 1989 date codes are 99+% recoverable so I'm hoping that the
missing sector or so doesn't upset ODS-2 too much. If I get the time,
I'll try them out tonight. The May 1989 CONDIST (and the Mar 1989
CONOLD) are both currently completely unreadable. I'll try one of them
in the GAME polishing machine, assuming they actually have a polishing
machine nearby. If there is no such machine nearby then I'll try the
3000 grit sandpaper as there's not really much to lose.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com