DEC H742a Power Supplies, for Parts (Seattle)

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 13:50:42 CDT 2021

Hey all --

I've started stripping down the "fire-sale" PDP-11/45 I picked up in
November, in preparation for sanding and repainting the rack and processor
chassis.  There were two H742a supplies in the rack that I believe are too
far gone to be reasonably restored (in particular the heat definitely did a
number on at least one of the transformers) and I have a pair of H7420a's
ready to take their place.  I hate to see things go to waste, though, and
even though it's probably pointless -- before I send these off to the
scrapyard, I wanted to check to see if anyone here needed any parts.
Shipping the whole unit(s) would be pretty expensive, local pickup is an
option if you want the whole thing(s).  The transformers are a bit toasty
but the power supply boards look like they might be usable after a good
cleaning and testing.  Fans are dead (either melted away entirely or rusted
out).  I suppose there's not really much else that'd be useful to anyone
but I have a compulsion to make sure...

Here's a couple of pictures:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqb36sqnCIfMpL89R2GtJFrrRqZ1vQ?e=Re3KZr

And for fun, here's a bunch of pictures of the unit just prior to the
teardown:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqb36sqnCIfMpL8-mTCp-NndzDTpbw?e=8aWCl4

(I do think there's a good chance this will run again, the major casualties
were the front panel, power supplies, and wiring harness.  I have
replacements for the first two, and the third is just a matter of taking
the time to build a new one.  The boards cleaned up nicely and there's no
real damage to the processor backplane, amazingly.)

- Josh