DEC RF08/RS08 module placement info

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Mon Apr 26 08:27:49 CDT 2021

On 4/25/2021 3:55 PM, Mattis Lind via cctalk wrote:
> Den sön 25 apr. 2021 kl 22:43 skrev Josh Dersch via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org>:
>
>> Hi all --
>>
>> In addition to the 11/45 project I'm also working on restoring an RF08/RS08
>> fixed head disk/controller (in the vain hopes of one day running TSS/8 on
>> my PDP-8/I).  I have the power supply repaired and running and I'm getting
>> ready to power the logic up (the disc itself will be a project all its own,
>> once it arrives).

Fantastic.  This thread sent me checking to see if I might have a DW08.
  Doesn't seem that I do.

My notes indicate that somewhere I do have a DW8-E stashed somewhere -
at least the backplane - in offsite storage.  I had forgotten about it.
  If someone could use it, we could talk.  [I suspect it was used to
connect a PDP-12 to an RK8E to run RK05's, but I have neither of those,
as far as I know.]

I also have another level shifter that I don't have documented (near as
I can tell).  It is 11.5" high with M735 open collector modules, among
others, on it, but the label that I can see has faded to illegibility.

And as a result of investigating this in my PDP-12 notes, I found that
the power supply that Josh received from me had become a "donor" of a
rectifier bridge to my PDP-12 back in 1990.  I suppose those wires were
just dangling on the unit when you received it.

>> I'd like to double-check that all the flip chips are in their right places;
>> I have no cause to think they've been shuffled around but I want to be
>> sure.  The engineering docs have detailed schematics but no placement chart
>> for the modules themselves.  Given enough time with the schematics I could
>> derive this chart but I'm saving that as a last resort.  So, two
>> possibilities here:

Wise man.