DEDICATED HOBBYIST ALERT: IBM AS/400 9406-F2 for cheap sale in Germany

Patrik Schindler poc at pocnet.net
Wed Jan 6 06:27:12 CST 2021

Hello,

Am 06.01.2021 um 02:04 schrieb mazzinia at tin.it:

> Yeh, I know for a fact you cannot setup Hdds for an as/400 unless with the ibm factory tool. ( saw people using AS for a lot of years professionally discuss this )
> You had an as400, you had to buy the spares hdds sold by ibm and ibm only

Yes, I know about that and can confirm. What I understood from your last posting is that once you reformat an AS/400 disk for 512 Bytes per sector as used by commodity hardware, you can’t use it again on AS/400, even by reformatting.

> About the panel ... let me see...
>
> Press 1 time "arrow up" to get 02 on the display
> Press "insert" > panel will show "02 BN"
> Press 4 times "arrow up" so that it changes to "02 BM"
> Press 2 times the white power on button, to start the shutdown/poweroff phase

This is *not* an orderly shutdown, but some kind of emergency shutdown procedure to prevent excess damage through RAM content not yet flushed to disk. A bit like doing a „sync“ and immediate power off on Unix/Linux.

:wq! PoC