Bendix G-15 and Control Data 160 console on ebay

Van Snyder van.snyder at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 6 14:01:50 CST 2021

On Wed, 2021-01-06 at 08:52 +0000, Ed Groenenberg via cctalk wrote:
> It can be debated of the price for the Bendix is high or not, but it is truly a nice
> and rare machine. And by the looks of it, it seems to be complete too.
> Not sure tough if the rack on the right belongs to it.
>
> I hope it ends up in a proper museum and hopefully it can be
> displayed in running condition.

The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA has one, but it's not
in operating order.I don't know whether they have a mag tape drive.

G-15 was the first machine I used, at the Summer Science Program, in
Ojai, CA in 1963. We used it to calculate asteroid positions on
photographic plates, prior to computing orbit elements -- which we did
by hand on Monroe and Friden calculators.

Several years ago, I wrote an emulator for Intercom-1000. It's at
http://vandyke.mynetgear.com/1401/G15.

UCLA used at least one G15 to syntax check Fortran programs before they
were submitted to the 7094.

Highway departments used them for years because Bendix provided cut-
and-cover software. The software might have been developed by a highway
department in Australia.