APL\360

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Jan 14 21:55:52 CST 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> It's a different world from BASIC, for sure.
>
> Neil maintained that its strength lay in thinking about things in a
> non-scalar way.  I'll give him that--programming on STAR, where a scalar
> was treated by the hardware as a vector of length 1 (and thus very slow
> because of startup overhead) certainly led you toward thinking about
> things in vector operations, just like APL.
>
> Here's the APL*STAR reference manual:
>
> http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/apl/Books/197409_APL%20Star%20Reference%20Manual_19980800B.pdf

Thank you for that!

You are right.  At the time, it simply never occured to me that anybody
would use it for anything other than matrix processing of scientific data.
(MY view of the elephant)

Yes, I suppose that somebody of sufficient skill COULD write accounting
software with it, . . .
But why?

And, one of the advantages of COBOL for business programming was the
possibility of checking somebody else's code.  APL was intrinsically
obfuscated code.