DEC backplane power connectors

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Jan 31 21:44:23 CST 2021

    > From: Tom Uban

    > The part numbers are:
    . A106239-ND, TE Connectivity AMP Connectors 1-171196-0, CONN PLUG 6POS MATE-N-LOK NATRL
    > A1427-ND, TE Connectivity AMP Connectors 1-480323-0, CONN PLUG 15 POS MATE-N-LOK
    > See attached picture

That didn't come through for people on the list; I have posted it here:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/pdp11/jpg/tmp/dec_connectors.jpg

so everyone can see his connectors.

    > Looking at the TE.com catalog, the picture for 1-480273-0 does not match
    > my DD11-DF connector

Actually, the 1-480273-0 is _exactly_ the unit DEC used; I looked at the power
distribution panel from a BA11-K, and that's what it uses. (I'm too burned out
to look at the engineering drawings and get the part number to confirm; I'll
do that 'soon'.)

I took a picture of the male shells, and added it to the CHWiki page (I'll add
the females tomorrow). The detail of the 6-pin one didn't show up too well, so
I took another closeup of just it, here:

  https://gunkies.org/wiki/File:DECPwrConnMaleSml.jpg

Your 15-pin is the same as mine (the part number matches). Your 6-pin has
'wings' on the side (these prevent it pulling through when placed in a hole in
sheet metal); the 6-pin DEC used has little right-angle arms, just like the
ones on the 15-pin, to brace it in place.

They are compatible, though, I think; a female shell that will take one
probably will take the other.

	 Noel