VaxBrick (vax 4000-50, KA600 ) Owners manual/technical manual

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sun Jul 18 09:52:14 CDT 2021

On Jul 17, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Jonathan Stone via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Doe anyone have an "owners manual" or technical manual for the KA600 aka VaxBrick aka Vax 4000-50?
>
> I have most of a Vaxbrick, but I'd sooner run Unix on it that VMS.  But I know of no open-source OS which supports the KA600.
> I'd guess most of the internal devices are similar to SCSI or DSSI on high-end Microvaxes/vaxstations; but that's a guess.
>
> There's a listing on eBay for a lot which includes vaxbricks.   I've made an offer on it, but let the offer expire after finding no open-source drivers.   I'm willing to front purchase of the lot, if others are interested in buying a VaxBrick in a BA213 or BA 215.
>
> -Jonathan Stone

It’s interesting looking hardware.  Looking at that auction, it appears that they only have two VAX 4000-50’s and that the other two are expansion chassis, along with a lot of BA350/BA356 shelves and drive SBB’s.

Any idea what the performance spec’s on a VAXbrick are?  Since it’s a drop-in replacement for a VAX 4000-200, it presumably supports DSSI.

Zane