Install Floppies (Was: Compaq Deskpro boards/hard drives from

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun Jul 25 12:46:17 CDT 2021

On 7/24/21 10:26 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> My recollection of the DMF Microsoft period was that if you purchased
> a retail MS product using the DMF format and couldn't get it read
> on your system, a call to MS would result in a standard format copy
> being shipped.

It's my understanding that The DMF disks that Microsoft (and comparable
from IBM with PC-DOS) used a different non-FAT file system which took up
less space on the disk, thus yielding more storage for data.  But that
they both fit on the same /standard/ ""1.44 MB disks.

I also seem to recall that Macintosh's could get 1.7 MB on the same
""1.44 MB disks.

But I could be completely wrong.

--
Grant. . . .